ISO 22000:2018 is an ISO standard for Food Safety Management System. This system help an organization to control the food safety, hazards and to ensure that food is safe to consume. This management system can be adopt by any organization which have process or business related to food, no matter what size is the organization.
This is not a license. It is an international requirements which define by International Standard Organization (ISO) for food safety management purpose. In order to get the ISO 22000 certification for your organization, your organization need to fulfill the ISO 22000 requirements. All the requirements are listed in the ISO 22000 standard. This standard document can be purchase from www.iso.org. This standard usually will be revised within 5 to 10 years. The lastest revision is ISO 22000:2018, which is revised in Jun 2018.
The benefit of ISO 22000:
- Good management System to control food hazards
- Cost Saving and reduce food hazard incidents
- Expanding to international markets
- Increase customer confident and to stake holder
- Increase profitability
- Better branding for the organization image
- Continue improvement on organization performance
The key principle in ISO 22000:2018 are :
- Understanding the organization and its context, needs and expectations of interested parties
- Leadership – Leadership commitment, establishing and communicate the food safety policy, define roles, responsibilities and authorities
- Planning – address risks and opportunities, establish objectives for the FSMS
- Support – Resources, Competency, Awareness, Communication, Documented the information
- Operation – Planning and control, PRPs, Traceability, Emergency preparedness and response, Hazard control (HACCP/OPRP plan), Monitoring systems at CCPs and for OPRPs, Measuring, verification, Handling of potentially unsafe products
- Performance Evaluation – Monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation, Internal Audit, Management Review
- Improvement – Corrective Action, continue improvement
Figure : PDCA Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle for ISO 22000 (source : ISO 22000 Standard)
Here is the Process of getting ISO 22000:2018 certification. The process duration of every organization is differ in term of the organization size, how complicated of the organization, commitement of the internal team, etc.
Here is the changes of ISO 22000:2005 to ISO 22000:2018. Usually a standard will be revise within year 5 to 10. The changes is based on the better improvement for the system to an organazation.